Unfortunately, scammers are already at work following the devastating hurricanes in the south. For CVAR members wishing to contribute to disaster relief, we recommend a donation to the National Association of REALTORS®’ REALTOR® Relief Foundation.
Also, here are tips to share with your clients who might be in that vulnerable position:
- Don’t feel pressured or rushed to sign a repair contract.
- Be leery of anyone who requests cash or a check up front. Most legitimate contractors will expect you to pay in installments or once the work is completed.
- Check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure the contractors are licensed in your state.
- Ask for personal references.
- Gather more than one bid on any work that needs to be completed.
- Never sign a blank contract.
The foundation was established to provide to needy victims of disasters (including, but not limited to affected relief and rescue workers), and their families, assistance with housing-related needs arising out of such disasters, and for other charitable purposes permitted under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
The Foundation may elect to provide assistance primarily or solely to victims who are members of the National Association of Realtors®.